Article

Midfielder confirms he's ready to join Liverpool — and more

Midfielder confirms he's ready to join Liverpool

Midfielder confirms he's ready to join Liverpool
Midfielder confirms he's ready to join Liverpool

Anfield Watchunderstands the club are huge admirers of Caleb Yirenkyi, and could be making a move for him in the summer.

Yirenkyi plays for FC Nordsjaelland and he only turned 20-years-old last month but already has over 40 appearances for the Danish club that has an impressive track-record of producing elite talent who have gone onto do well in Europe's top five leagues.

The youngster proved once again what an impressive player he is for Nordsjaelland in their victory over FC Kobenhavn in the Danish Superliga on Saturday.

With Liverpool scouts in attendance, Yirenkyi was one of the best players on the pitch and put in a spectacular performance to help secure the three points for his side.

He covered vast swathes of ground and showcased exactly what he is about. The Ghanian won five out of seven ground duels, completed the most dribbles on the pitch (2), completed 79 out of 81 pass attempts, while creating two chances, and winning all of his aerial duels.

It was a phenomenal performance and it confirmed that he's too good for this level. It also confirmed that he is ready for the step-up to a club like Liverpool and that he very much fits the club's style of play.

Yirenkyi is all action. He's comfortable playing in a side that dominates the ball and also has to press high.

The youngster would flourish under Arne Slot's system. He may not be a regular started but as we mentioned above Liverpool need more than just one midfielder.

Wataru Endo is likely leaving Anfield. The future of Curtis Jones is up in the air. Having someone like Yirenkyi makes a lot of sense.

He can play anywhere in midfield and on top of that he can also cover at full-back, meaning he'd still play a lot of games even if he was not first choice.

His performance at Saturday will likely have blown the club's scouts away and all the Reds need to do now is to agree a fee for him before someone else does.

James Trafford reveals truth on Manchester City return and Gianluigi Donnarumma signing

James Trafford reveals truth on Manchester City return and Gianluigi Donnarumma signing
James Trafford reveals truth on Manchester City return and Gianluigi Donnarumma signing

Manchester City left James Trafford in the dark over plans to sign Gianluigi Donnarumma just weeks after bringing him back to the Etihad Stadium.

City’s goalkeeping situation has been one of the most closely watched storylines of the 2025/26 campaign, particularly after the club’s decision to invest heavily in the position during the summer transfer window.

Trafford’s return to the Etihad Stadium from Burnley was initially framed as a long-term move aligned with Pep Guardiola’s philosophy, but circumstances shifted rapidly once the window progressed.

The 23-year-old rejoined City in a £31 million deal and was entrusted with starting duties at the beginning of the season, featuring prominently during the early Premier League schedule. However, the late arrival of Gianluigi Donnarumma altered the hierarchy, prompting Trafford’s transition into a supporting role.

Speaking to reporters after yet another fine performance when called upon by Pep Guardiola in domestic cup action for Manchester City, James Trafford spoke openly about his role as back-up choice goalkeeper for the club.

“I didn’t expect the situation to happen, but it’s happened, so you just get on with it”, the 23-year-old told reporters at the Etihad Stadium.

When asked to clarify whether he specifically meant the club’s signing of Gianluigi Donnarumma weeks after his arrival, Trafford said, “Yeah. It’s happened so I’ll work very hard every day and then see what happens, give it my best shot.”

On whether Manchester City moving for the Italian international had ever felt on the cards when he signed for the club from Burnley, Trafford said, “No, no. It’s just another experience to add to my career and yeah, it has been good learning.”

While league and European opportunities have been limited, James Trafford has carved out an important role as City’s trusted option in knockout competitions, providing stability and composure during high-pressure fixtures.

That trust has been repaid with a series of impressive displays, most notably during City’s run to the 2026 Carabao Cup Final, featuring in all five matches including both legs of the semi-final against Newcastle, underlining his value in Guardiola’s rotation strategy.

Guardiola has continued to publicly commend James Trafford’s attitude and technical quality, highlighting his sharpness despite extended periods without regular starts. And as Manchester City continue to compete on multiple fronts, Trafford’s readiness ensure he remains a dependable option.

Atletico director fires back at Barcelona complaints after Copa del Rey defeat: ‘I find it curious that…’

Atletico director fires back at Barcelona complaints after Copa del Rey defeat: ‘I find it curious that…’
Atletico director fires back at Barcelona complaints after Copa del Rey defeat: ‘I find it curious that…’

Barcelona’s crushing 0-4 loss to Atletico Madrid in the first leg of the Copa del Rey semi-final has triggered a storm of reactions, and one of the most striking responses has come from a familiar face. 

Mateu Alemany, once a key sporting director at Barcelona and now holding the same role at Atletico Madrid, has weighed in on the controversy surrounding the refereeing decisions in the match.

Given his past at the Catalan club, Alemany’s words carry added significance. He understands the internal environment at Barcelona and the way controversies are often handled at the club. 

Shots fired at Barcelona

Speaking recently, as quoted by Mundo Deportivo, Alemany made it clear that he was surprised by the direction of the discussion around the result. 

He suggested that the refereeing should not be the main talking point after such a heavy defeat.

“I find it curious that people are talking about the referees from Thursday’s game. I think that should be the least relevant thing. 

“In the other day’s match, there is only one action that is being questioned, which is an offside (in the goal that would have made it 4-1 in favour of Barcelona), and offsides, nowadays, are checked technologically. 

“It is objective and not open to interpretation,” he said.

What’s the context?

Barcelona were not happy with the refereeing decisions. (Photo by Angel Martinez/Getty Images)

His comments came after Barcelona formally complained to the RFEF and the referees’ committee, expressing concern over what they believe is an inconsistent use of technology and a lack of unified criteria in key decisions. 

The club felt that several calls in the match went against them, not just the disallowed goal.

Alemany, however, insisted that the offside call was clear and left no room for debate. 

“If it’s offside, there’s no such thing as slightly offside. It either is, or it isn’t. The same thing happened to us last Sunday (against Betis, with a goal by Antoine Griezmann), when we were also called offside by a very small margin. 

“If it’s close, it’s offside. There’s nothing more to say,” he added.

It must be noted that Barcelona’s frustration was not limited to the disallowed goal. 

In fact, the club also pointed to the red card shown to Eric Garcia, arguing that VAR did not even review a similar challenge by Giuliano Simeone on Alejandro Balde. 

That difference in treatment has become another key part of their complaint.

Vinicius talks Mbappe, Bellingham, Benzema, Modric, Cristiano Ronaldo, Ancelotti

Vinicius talks Mbappe, Bellingham, Benzema, Modric, Cristiano Ronaldo, Ancelotti
Vinicius talks Mbappe, Bellingham, Benzema, Modric, Cristiano Ronaldo, Ancelotti

Real Madrid forward Vinicius Jr. is entering an important phase of the season with renewed confidence. 

The Brazilian has noticeably raised his level in recent weeks, and his performances have once again placed him at the centre of Madrid’s attacking plans.

Away from the pitch, the 25-year-old recently appeared on Ibai Llanos’ YouTube channel (h/t AS), where he spoke about his life at Real Madrid, his role in the dressing room, and his experiences with the Brazil national team. 

Vinicius began by speaking about his happiness both professionally and personally, stressing that his life at Real Madrid gives him a strong sense of fulfilment.

“I’m very happy. Playing for Madrid, having the life I have, and my family makes me happy. Being happy on and off the pitch is the best thing,” he began saying.

On Ancelotti

He then turned his attention to the Brazilian national team and the impact of Carlo Ancelotti’s arrival as head coach. 

Vinicius made it clear that the Italian has brought a new mood to the squad.

Ancelotti and Vinicius have a special relationship. (Photo by Alex Caparros/Getty Images)

“He has changed the face of the national team. We play better, we are happier and more relaxed. For me, his arrival is the best thing that has happened. He could be my grandfather.”

Vinicius even shared a light-hearted anecdote about their relationship.

“Every time he calls me, he tells me we’re going to win the World Cup. He’s already speaking Portuguese, he’s learning very quickly.”

The winger also spoke about the physical demands of his role and why fitness remains a top priority for him.

“I need my physique because I use speed a lot. We have to be physically and mentally perfect because we’re not always going to be technically where we want to be.”

Fame and mental health

Reflecting on fame, he admitted that life changed quickly after his rise at Real Madrid.

“When we are very young, we don’t learn how to be famous. I came out of nowhere to be famous and not be able to go out on the street. 

“The good thing is that people love you a lot, but the bad thing is the press and rival fans.”

To protect his mental health, he revealed that he sometimes distances himself from online criticism.

“You have to listen to everything, not just the good stuff.”

Vinicius also addressed the hostile atmospheres he often faces away from home, making it clear that he thrives under pressure.

“I love it. We train for these games. It’s in moments of pressure that the best players stand out, and at Madrid we’re ready.”

He also showed understanding for rival supporters.

“When I went to see Flamengo, they also booed the opposing players. Football ends when the game ends.”

On Mbappe and the dressing room

Vinicius pushed for Mbappe’s signing. (Photo by Angel Martinez/Getty Images)

One of the most revealing parts of the interview came when he discussed his role in Real Madrid’s major signings. 

He admitted that he personally pushed for the arrivals of Kylian Mbappe and Jude Bellingham.

“Every summer I would write to him: ‘When are you coming?’. I acted as his agent. 

“I did the same with Bellingham. I want to play with the best to have a better chance of winning.”

Inside the dressing room, Vinicius said his closest relationships are with a small group of teammates, namely, Mbappe, Eduardo Camavinga and Ferland Mendy.

“We spend more time with each other than with our families. We have to have a good relationship.”

Speaking about former teammates, he showed particular affection for Karim Benzema and Luka Modric.

“He’s my favourite. We understood each other with just a glance.“

And on the Croatian legend, he added, “He has something special that only he can have. I miss him a lot. He liked jokes, but he didn’t like to lose.”

Vinicius also admitted to one regret from his Real Madrid career, which is not playing with Cristiano Ronaldo.

“I arrived just when he left. I wish I could have played with him.”

Match against Benfica

Looking ahead to the Champions League tie against Benfica, he acknowledged the difficulty of playing in Lisbon and the motivation to respond after the earlier defeat. 

He also spoke about facing Jose Mourinho for the first time, stating, “He changed the history of the club.”

Finally, he recalled Real Madrid’s famous Champions League comebacks, describing the almost unbreakable belief inside the squad.

“We felt we were going to come back. Against City, we went into extra time knowing we were going to win. 

“When Joselu scored against Bayern, we didn’t even look at the scoreboard. We knew we were going to win before it was over.”

In brief

Al Ahly – AS FAR: Hammoudan calls on CAF for consistency and justice Incidents against Al Ahly: Hammoudan demands fair justice from CAFAl Ahly – AS FAR / @x.com/beINSPORTSNewsAhmed Hammoudan, AS FAR Rabat winger, delivered a strong statement after the clash with Al A...

Is Coventry vs Middlesbrough on TV? Channel, kick-off time and how to watch Championship title six-pointer Everything you need to know ahead of the clash

Is Macclesfield vs Brentford on TV? Channel, kick-off time and how to watch FA Cup tie Everything you need to know ahead of the clash

Is Macclesfield vs Brentford on TV? Channel, kick-off time and how to watch FA Cup tie Everything you need to know ahead of the clash

Women’s Basketball: Rams show no love to the Lobos on Valentine’s Day - The Daily Lobo Women’s Basketball: Rams show no love to the Lobos on Valentine’s Day The Daily Lobo

Five talking points from round two of Six Nations The second weekend of the Six Nations brings redemption for Scotland, another blistering display from France and a threat for Ireland.

When is FA Cup fifth-round draw? Start time, confirmed ball numbers and how to watch Everything you need to know as Premier League, EFL and potentially non-league Macclesfield discover their next match